Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Percentage & flat damage? I don't understand this.

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jun 13, 2011
I'm a bit confused on the differences between the damage values, both being percentage and flat damage values, especially the flat damage values embedded in many jewels, even though some higher level jewels are a bit too low & I would suggest the amounts of the flat damage values be upped to be more level appropriate, & I don't mean those that might have percentage damage values(though I could do that later on).

Regardless, could anyone care to explain the differences between the flat & percentage damage values? I'm baffled.

Delver
Jun 29, 2011
Trimond297 on Apr 7, 2015 wrote:
I'm a bit confused on the differences between the damage values, both being percentage and flat damage values, especially the flat damage values embedded in many jewels, even though some higher level jewels are a bit too low & I would suggest the amounts of the flat damage values be upped to be more level appropriate, & I don't mean those that might have percentage damage values(though I could do that later on).

Regardless, could anyone care to explain the differences between the flat & percentage damage values? I'm baffled.
If your flat damage is 20, the base value of your attack will be increased by 20 points. This amount is then multiplied by your damage percentage to get the total damage. It's the same as using a Sun spell damage enchantment.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Percentage acts like blades/traps, flat acts like Sun spells and adds to base damage. So +25 will make a 275 damage base into 300 base. +25% would act like a blade multiplying it, making it 344.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Errol Everhart on Apr 7, 2015 wrote:
If your flat damage is 20, the base value of your attack will be increased by 20 points. This amount is then multiplied by your damage percentage to get the total damage. It's the same as using a Sun spell damage enchantment.
Not exactly the same. Flat damage from jewels isn't boosted by your gear % boost, but it is boosted by buffs and critical. Sun enchantments are boosted by gear AND buffs. Sun enchants are split between multi-hits. Jewel damage is added fully to each part.

Squire
Jun 13, 2011
Prince of Shadows on Apr 7, 2015 wrote:
Not exactly the same. Flat damage from jewels isn't boosted by your gear % boost, but it is boosted by buffs and critical. Sun enchantments are boosted by gear AND buffs. Sun enchants are split between multi-hits. Jewel damage is added fully to each part.
Like, for instance, if a Balance Wizard were to cast Power Nova with it's base flat balance damage being 470 to every enemy in a duel & if a particular jewel socketed to any gear's select socket were to give a flat damage boost by about 350 points, the total damage it would take would be 820 points to every enemy, is that right?

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Trimond297 on Apr 8, 2015 wrote:
Like, for instance, if a Balance Wizard were to cast Power Nova with it's base flat balance damage being 470 to every enemy in a duel & if a particular jewel socketed to any gear's select socket were to give a flat damage boost by about 350 points, the total damage it would take would be 820 points to every enemy, is that right?
Sure. Flat damage adds a fixed amount, not a percentage.

To give a more typical example, suppose you have 60% damage boost from gear, and add a Sun enchant and Balance blade to your Nova. Jewels aren't yet adding anything like 350 points, so we'll use a more realistic value of 40 (based on two jewels of 20 each)

Without jewels:

470 spell base damage
+ 275 Colossal
________
745 enchanted spell
x 1.6 gear boost
________
x 1.25 blade
________
1490 to target

With jewels the first part is the same, so we have an enchanted spell, gear boosted to 1192. Now we add the jewel bonus.

1192+ 40 = 1232
x 1.25 blade

If you land a critical, both those totals would be doubled, so 3080 with jewels, 2980 without.

So in this case the jewels have added the equivalent of about 3.4% to your attack. But now suppose you do a wand hit with a 120 base damage. 120x1.6=192 192+40=232 That's almost a 21% boost to your wand hit because it's small to begin with. Flat damage boosts won't be too noticeable on spell that are really big, but will add significant punch to smaller hits.

Let's consider one more example: Our Balance wiz in the first case using Hydra in place of Nova. The jewel bonus of 40 is still added after the 60% gear boost and before the 25% blade, but it's added to each hit. So 40 x 1.25 = 50 per head bonus x3 heads, for an extra 150 damage to the target. Not too shabby for 2 sockets :)

Squire
Jun 13, 2011
Prince of Shadows on Apr 8, 2015 wrote:
Sure. Flat damage adds a fixed amount, not a percentage.

To give a more typical example, suppose you have 60% damage boost from gear, and add a Sun enchant and Balance blade to your Nova. Jewels aren't yet adding anything like 350 points, so we'll use a more realistic value of 40 (based on two jewels of 20 each)

Without jewels:

470 spell base damage
+ 275 Colossal
________
745 enchanted spell
x 1.6 gear boost
________
x 1.25 blade
________
1490 to target

With jewels the first part is the same, so we have an enchanted spell, gear boosted to 1192. Now we add the jewel bonus.

1192+ 40 = 1232
x 1.25 blade

If you land a critical, both those totals would be doubled, so 3080 with jewels, 2980 without.

So in this case the jewels have added the equivalent of about 3.4% to your attack. But now suppose you do a wand hit with a 120 base damage. 120x1.6=192 192+40=232 That's almost a 21% boost to your wand hit because it's small to begin with. Flat damage boosts won't be too noticeable on spell that are really big, but will add significant punch to smaller hits.

Let's consider one more example: Our Balance wiz in the first case using Hydra in place of Nova. The jewel bonus of 40 is still added after the 60% gear boost and before the 25% blade, but it's added to each hit. So 40 x 1.25 = 50 per head bonus x3 heads, for an extra 150 damage to the target. Not too shabby for 2 sockets :)
One word... WOW!

Took plenty of math to break it down, but these are really nice examples of the differences between flat damage & percentage damage values.

So, to get this straight, as of now, jewels that come with flat damage boosts, especially higher leveled ones, have little amounts of flat damage boosts to the spells' own amounts of flat damage, ranging from those that are lower ranked, like an Ice Scarab to an Ice Wizard, to the current highest ranked spells yet, like the Life Wizard's Spinysaur. The more I think of it, the more it's starting to make sense to me now. I'm getting the whole concept now.

The higher leveled jewels' flat damage amounts are small & aren't noticeable to higher ranked spells, yet they're really a good start to introducing jewels & jewel socketing, even to those that make a big punch to lower ranked spells. Maybe one day, the higher leveled jewels' amounts would be increased so it would properly make a big difference to higher ranked spells, especially new ones to come if the max level cap gets increased again someday.

This update is really going to change a lot about how our spells deal values & many more new strategies are going to be made real soon. Looking forward to it!

Maybe someday, we could have new jewels that increase values to healing & armor absorbing spells' flat amounts to provide more healing to Wizards & protection against enemies. Someday.